Everyone agrees that red wine and white wine taste different in terms of taste. However, people have different opinions and answers when it comes to picking which one is healthy. Red wine has for a long time been linked with improving the condition of the heart and also enhancing your lifespan. Here, you will understand different aspects about Red wine and white wine. So, what is wine? Wine is derived from fermented grape juice. Initially, grapes are crushed before being placed somewhere to ferment. Fermentation process turns grapes juice into alcohol.
There are instances where yeast is added on the fermented grapes juice. The skin of crushed grapes should be removed. The grape color and pressing process determines if you will attain red or white wine. Pressing is handled after fermentation if you want red wine. White wine can only be attained if pressing is handled before fermentation. Afterwards, wine is aged in either oak barrels or stainless steel.
Difference between white wine and Red wine
The color of grapes used determines if you with attain white or red wine. Grape juice fermentation also determines if you will attain red wine or white wine. Fermentation can be done without or with grape skin. White wine is attained by removing the stems, seeds and skins before the fermentation process. This is quite the opposite when it comes to red wine. Here, grapes are crushed and fermented with their stems, seeds and skin. This is the reason red wine contains some healthy compounds. Resveratrol and tannins are some healthy compounds found in red wine. White wine also contains a couple of healthy compounds. However, they cannot be compared to red wine.
There are different types of grapes used in making wine. Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Pinot Gris are some grapes used in wine production. Red varietals are only used in production of red wine. White wine can be made from any type of grapes. Both red and white wine are produced from different parts of the globe. Spain, Chile, France and Italy are some of these countries.
Comparison in terms of nutrients
As stated earlier, both red and white wine contain some healthy compounds. However, there is a huge difference in terms of the nutritional percentage. Red wine and white wine contain same amounts of Calories, carbs, magnesium, Vitamin B6, calcium, phosphorous, zinc and Vitamin K. Red wine contain contains high amounts of manganese, potassium, Iron, Niacin and Riboflavin when compared to white wine. It is fair to state that red wine contains high percentage of nutrients when compared to white wine.
The health benefits of Red wine
Red wine is fermented with both seeds and skins. This is the reason red wine contains high amounts of plant compounds. The plant compounds can benefit the body in numerous ways. Below are some health benefits linked to red wine:
- It lowers the risks of heart condition- France is considered one of the top countries that consume high amounts of red wine. This is one of the reasons France has a low amount of people suffering from heart conditions across the globe. The results have been constant for a long time despite feeding on meals rich in saturated fat. It has been medically proven that red wine helps protect our overall cardiovascular system. Red wine also contains plant compounds that have both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. This is the reason red wine can significantly reduce the possibility of heart conditions.
- Red wine helps increase HDL cholesterol- HDL is the good cholesterol in the body. High amounts of HDL cholesterol reduce risks of developing heart conditions. The good cholesterol tends to replace the bad cholesterol, thus promoting the condition and performance of your heart. It has been practically proven that taking at least two glasses of wine daily for a month can change the structure of the good cholesterol. Some people attain positive results before the four weeks lapse.
- It reduces brain decline because of age- Aging is a natural process we all undergo. A point in life reaches when the brain starts slowing down in terms of performance. Well; it has been practically proven that red wine can slow down the rate in which the brain declines in terms of performance. This is mostly attributed to the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds found in red wine. Resveratrol is one of the compounds that protect the brain from age related complications. It prevents formation of beta-amyloids that is linked to brain decline.
The benefits of Resveratrol
Resveratrol is a plant compound found in both red and white wine. This compound is beneficial to the body in numerous ways. Below are some health benefits linked to Resveratrol:
- Resveratrol helps with joint pain. It does this by preventing cartilage damage.
- It helps manage diabetes. Diabetes can be caused by insulin resistance. Well; Resveratrol is known to improve insulin sensitivity. It can be used in both preventing and managing diabetes.
- It enhances lifespan of organs and organisms. Resveratrol can promote the lifespan of some organisms and organs by fighting off age related conditions.
- Resveratrol reduces the possibility of contracting cancer. Cancer is one of the killer diseases at the moment. Research has revealed that people who frequently take red wine are at a lower risk of contracting cancer.
Overall health benefits of wine
There are plenty of health benefits linked to both white wine and red wine. Therefore, you can freely take both white and red wine. Both are linked with plenty of health benefits. Below are some of them:
- You are less likely to suffer from heart conditions. People who frequently take either red or white wine are less likely to suffer from stroke or heart attack.
- Both white and red wine can improve your overall cholesterol levels. That is good cholesterol, commonly known as HDL.
- Anyone who frequently takes either red or white wine is less likely to suffer from neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s.
- Wine at large reduces the possibility of contracting Osteoarthritis.
Are there complications linked to drinking wine?
Some people tend to abuse any alcoholic drink including wine. They consume more than the recommended amount. There is no specific limit in terms of wine you should take. A glass or two of wine will deliver the above health benefits. Taking too much wine can actually present negative results than positive benefits. Excessive drinking is linked to brain damage, infectious diseases or organ damage. You also risk developing cancer.
Based on the above results, it is evident that red wine contains high percentage of nutrients when compared to white wine. Always stick to low amounts of wine if you desire some health benefits linked to wine.