Optimistic studies revealed that over 5.5 million Americans had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease (AD). It is one of the most major causes of dementia and even ranks third as a cause of death after cancer and heart disease. Thus, Dr. Morris and his colleagues created a well-known diet named as MIND diet, the diet that reduces the incidence of Alzheimer’s disease and it helps to lower the risk of AD by 35% to 53% depending on the adherence to it.
You might be thinking that is this diet help protect you and your family from brain degeneration. Yes, it can! Give a read to this post to know about the MIND diet and what you have to consume and avoid. Let’s start with the term ‘MIND Diet.’
What Is The Mind Diet?
MIND is the abbreviation for “Mediterranean-DASH Diet Intervention for Neurodegenerative Delay.” The MIND diet is combined aspects of two very popular diets known as the Mediterranean diet and the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) diet. Both these diets are ideal for improving heart health and aid weight loss. Well, before sticking to this diet, you should beware of your calories count, get your weight loss planner and track your calorie needs using simple and efficient calories per day calculator. The calculator-online.net provided you with advanced weight loss tracker through which you come to know how many calories to lose weight.
Who Should Follow The MIND Diet?
The MIND is ideal for people over 50, but you have to consult with your health care provider to get the suggestion on the following diet. So, get ready to know about the foods you need to consume and avoid. Take a look!
MIND Diet Foods To Eat:
- Berries – There is a need to consume a maximum of 2 servings of 2 to 3 types of berries daily. Berries are the ideal food your brain. You can consume strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries
- Veggies – There is need of at least 6 servings of leafy greens including spinach and kale per week, and you have to stick on 1 serving of non-starchy veggies a day
- Olive Oil – The olive oil is the source of healthy fat and an integral part of the Mediterranean diet, and it contains omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. You can cook your food using olive oil and use it for seasoning your foods
- Nuts – They are healthy fats and rich in protein, dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals. You have at least 5 servings of nuts per week, including almonds, pistachios, walnuts, macadamia, and pine nuts
- Fish – You have to consume fatty fish like trout, salmon, and tuna as they contain omega-3 fatty acids, which is ideal to lower inflammation and oxidative stress. Also, you have to intake wild-caught fish at least once a week
You have at least 3 servings of whole grains per day, including brown rice, quinoa, oats, and whole-grain bread
- Poultry – You have to consume poached or steamed chicken breast and ground turkey at least twice a week. Don’t try to consume fried chicken
- Legumes – You have to consume soybeans, lentils, and beans per week
So, what are the foods that you have to avoid on the MIND diet? They are listed below:
MIND Diet Foods To Avoid:
- Fried Foods – You have to avoid foods including fries, fried chicken, chicken nuggets, and other fast foods as they all are packed with unhealthy fats
- Red Meat – There is a need to reduce red meat consumption as they are a rich amount of saturated fat threat your brain health. You can intake 1 or 2 servings of red meat within a week
- High-Salt And High-Sugar Foods – These foods are potato wafers, burgers, salted nuts, canned foods, frozen meats, sauces, and candies
- Butter And Margarine – You have to cut down your butter and margarine consumption to a singly tbsp a day
Cheese – There is a need to limit your cheese consumption to just a serving per week
Well, stick on MIND Diet to prevent brain degeneration – Good Luck!